Tribute to Pastor Poate Mata.

SOLEMN TRIBUTE TO PASTOR POATE MATA Who passed away in Fiji in May 2021. (The story was drawn from FB) A solemn tribute to an Apostle, Evangelist, Pastor and a Father, The (late) Reverend Poate Uculoa Mata, who adopted me into his home, his ministry and even paved a way for my career when I was at one of the lowest point in my life. I walked into his Church (AGOFI) with my children at the National Gymnasium in Suva in early 1992 on a Sunday afternoon and was invited to the platform to minister in song without any prior arrangement. I had only known of him then but he opened his heart to me without any reservation to make me feel quite at home from Day 1. That warm, genuine welcoming spirit had always been the significant character of this Great Man of God, that helped people like me get up from the road of shame and despair to pursue our purpose once again, just as God intended. I was restored in value with that kind-trusting gesture and continued to grind through life with my head again above the water. The moment he learned that I was doing life alone and selling lunch packs to care for my children, he made a proposal to his Church Board to facilitate me while in transition, with some sort of employment in Admin at the Church Office below his residence in Wainivula. I was given a weekly allowance and served with diligence and much gratitude unto God and the Church. Talatala Qase would send me to assist in weekly Bible Studies in Corporate Business locations like the NLTB, YWCA Hall and the USP Eve Cell Group. His Church Board were just as generous as their Leader in blessing me with alms every week professing that they felt inspired to. One day, he inquired about my career background and in doing so, he said that there was an engineering role vacant within his Co. (BP Oil SWP) of which he was the Human Resources Mgr. After the screening processes for applicants, I was short listed for a final interview with other candidates. Upon the end of all the interviews, the Department Mgrs who were in the panel selected my name as their choice and asked him for his final opinion, without knowing that we knew each other prior to any application being made. Unbiased in his work ethics, Talatala said, “I will trust and go with whom you have all decided”, they replied, “You can then send him an appointment letter”. I was back at the Church office that afternoon working when the phone rang and it was Talatala, he said; (and many of you have heard this familiar label that he loves to use) “Luvequ!!, waraki keirau kei Mummy me keirau yaco yani vale, keirau na qai kauti iko i Lami!” My mind raced through many other reasons but the outcome of the job interview, as there were 3 other great and experienced candidates who contested the position. His company car, a white Nissan Bluebird (CF838) pulled up the driveway around 6pm and they both walked towards the door, arms wide open and teary eyed with my appointment letter in his hand he said; Congratulations Luvequ! The job is yours!” My heart broke as they both hugged me and offered a prayer of thanksgiving saying; “Lord we asked you to open this door for our son, and You did it again”. Talatala Qase Poate Uculoa Mata was a Godly man who would Father anybody that needed one, and I was one who missed that opportunity from the age of 2. I am speechless today with hurting and mixed emotions, but I honor this Great Man of God with Songs of Praises unto God and I will always claim his surviving family as my own. Talatala Qase, my children and I will always be grateful to You and Mum, for keeping us close to your hearts in our times of hardship. We offer our heartfelt condolence and prayer to you Mum, Miti, Naca, Seta, Pei and Sonny with your respective families and children, What a Life Dad lived, thoroughly fulfilled with Great Joy, Victory and Gratitude. ❤️U, Tutua x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sigatoka boy puts Fiji on the map dancing for God

Na veivakarusai ni yaqona ni Viti

The passing of my homeless friend Nafiz by Elia Vesikula